OUR MISSION, WHAT WE DO AND
CPTED Subsidized Crime Prevention Program
The CPTED program was developed to help downtown businesses located within the Business Revitalization Zone (BRZ) reduce the impact of negative social behavior occurring in and around their property
What is CPTED?
CPTED (pronounced sep-ted) stands for Crime Prevention through Environmental Design. This means using internationally recognized building and landscape designs to proactively deter criminal acts and unsociable activity from taking place in and around the building you occupy. If the opportunity is missed during the design phase, it can be easily applied to existing buildings and this is the purpose of this subsidized program. Applying some of these principles can significantly reduce the opportunities for criminal acts to occur.
Not all buildings in Downtown Red Deer have been designed with these principles in mind and, as a result, your business may be experiencing negative social behavior. The DBA recognizes this can not only be intimidating, but can potentially impact the success of your business by contributing to the general perception of feeling unsafe.
The following areas are examples of areas that can attract unwanted activity:
- Back alleys
- Front alcoves
- Dense shrubbery
By restricting access using a decorative gate, cutting back low-hanging trees or tall shrubbery, installing cameras, and even piping out music are all recognized CPTED practices that can be applied to reduce the negative activity.
Your DBA has a dedicated CPTED fund to contribute to the cost of any business undertaking improvements specifically to counteract unwanted activity. Your DBA will subsidize up to a maximum of 50% of the cost incurred by any business and at the discretion of the DBA.
To receive a CPTED grant, an applicant must meet the following criteria:
- If the applicant is not the building owner, written consent from the building owner must accompany the application
- All projects must have obtained the necessary building permits as required by The City of Red Deer, and be located within the Business Revitalization Zone.
- Application – Submit your completed application form to the DBA, and include a photo of the area to receive attention (i.e. back alley). You may apply by completing the form below, or by downloading a PDF copy of the brochure/application here.
- The review committee will make a decision within 14 days of receiving the application, and confirmation will be provided to the applicant in writing.
- Once written confirmation has been received by the applicant, on-site work can begin
- When the project is completed, a project inspection is carried out and a grant cheque will be issued.
- Funding will be allocated on a first-come, first-serve basis until the annual budget is depleted
- Applications are reviewed case by case, and the DBA Board reserves the right to refuse any application
- Applications for funding must be received prior to commencement of construction. No funds will be provided for projects that are complete or in-progress at the time of application
- Projects must be completed within six months of application approval, unless other arrangements have been made through the DBA
- Approval for funding does not substitute permits required by The City of Red Deer
* By submitting this application, I agree it and the attached quotes will become property of the Red Deer Downtown Business Association. The information contained in the application is true, correct and complete in every respect. I understand the submission of this application is not a guarantee of funding. I agree to obtain all necessary permits and authorization in advance of the project start and understand no funding will be provided for projects that have already begun. The Red Deer Downtown Business Association has permission to use my business name along with “before” and “after” photographs to promote this program.